Our evidence has been collated from responses received to Freedom of Information requests sent to all Scottish local authorities and from our own research.
1. Comparisons of Councils’ Average Funding Rates
This is an overview of the average number of discretionary funding requests for a further year of nursery made to councils in recent years and each council’s average rate of funding them. This data was collated from each local authority’s response to our Freedom of Information requests. View your local authority’s individual response here (you will need to search for your own local authority in the search bar e.g. “Discretionary Deferral Rates Fife Council”).
We estimate that across Scotland, approximately 1100 requests are made annually (four local authorities were unable to provide this data).
* Data accurate as at February 2019. We are aiming to update the infographics with the additional most recent data in Dec 2019.
Various approaches to assessing discretionary deferral funding requests are taken by local authorities. See what happens in your council area here and how this compares to other regions.
3. Councils Which Allow Self-funding of Nursery Places
When a discretionary deferral request for an extra year of nursery funding is turned down, find out which local authorities allow parents/carers to self-finance a continued place in a council nursery.
* The infographics below were accurate as at Feb 2019. We have some updates and aim to publish them here in Dec 2019.
4. Lack of Parental Awareness of Legal Right to Defer